Wednesday, June 7, 2017

The Habit of Writing

Author Yoleen Valai
It’s hard for me to recall time when I wasn’t writing. It seems that as soon as I could hold a pen, I was constantly scribbling something.
By the age of 10, that habit developed into a much bigger passion: Storytelling.
As naïve as it was, my first (handwritten) novel became very popular among my friends and their parents, and their grandparents alike. Five thick, 96-page composition books, filled with my crude at the time calligraphy and color illustrations, changed hands so many times, that when the volumes were returned to me they looked as if they had traveled to Saturn and back. People kept asking me every day when I would write more… That, probably, was the turning point when I realized that writing was something I wanted to do for the rest of my life.
It’s not my profession. It’s not what I do because I have to. Writing is what keeps me alive, what keeps me going. I write because I can’t survive otherwise. It’s my air, my nourishment, my passion and my true love.

The Rebirth of Francesca by Yoleen Valai
The idea for The Rebirth of Francesca (and, therefore, for the entire Francesca trilogy) was the result of a small argument with my best friend, who’s also an aspiring author. We started some projects together, but could never complete them for the simple reason that we couldn’t build anything whole. We created wonderful characters, we knew the settings, we wrote bits and pieces for the plots, but we were unable to make it work. During one of our on-line conversations regarding why it was so difficult to create a solid story, I told my friend, “Look, do you want to bet that I can come up with a hundred ideas right here, right now? However, ideas are just that- they don’t have any completeness to them, they simply float in the air!” And then I started telling her what I had in my mind at the moment, listing every tiny concept which could be used in a book plot. As I revealed the story that would become the source for my trilogy, we both paused for a moment and then had to agree that it was, indeed, a great idea.

 
Currently, I’m working on the second book of the trilogy, and can’t wait to share it with everyone.

Dare to dream. Dare to believe.

Yours truly,

Yoleen Valai   

Check out Yoleen on Facebook and her Website.


No comments:

Post a Comment