Friday, June 9, 2017

From Paper to Rock

Author Peter Darley

Very often, we find what we set out to accomplish can take the most unexpected twists and turns – the kind one would never have expected in a lifetime.  My journey into the writing world has been one of the more extreme examples.

I began writing my first novel, Hold On! – Season 1, in early 2010. Basing the tempo on some of my favorite thriller TV shows and movies (Prison Break and 24, in particular) and driven on by my ever-growing collection of rock CDs, I completed the first draft in early 2011. After spending several months editing it, the nightmares began.

It took me almost two years to get Hold On! signed. The rejections were extreme. Nevertheless, it was eventually taken on by an agent, and was quickly picked up by a publisher. One year later, a week before Hold On! was due to go to press, my publisher folded, and then my agent retired. I was back to square one. However, soon afterward, Writer’s Coffee Shop, the original publisher of Fifty Shades of Grey, took an interest in Hold On!, and we worked on it for four months – until they decided to completely ignore me.

Finally, in December 2013, Hold On! was signed to – let’s just say – ‘a publisher in New York’. And it was a total nightmare. I realized that by spending two years searching for a publisher, I had been leading myself off a cliff. In February, 2015, I bought the rights to Hold On! back from my publisher, and set up my own self-publishing outfit. I took it from almost #1,000,000 on Amazon’s rakings – to #1, all within six weeks.

Over the next four months, I released the sequels, Go! and Run!. Sales were flying, but 

I’d decided to call it quits.

And then something mind-blowing occurred.
Hold On by Peter Darley

Italian rock god, Pierpaolo Monti, found one of his songs, “Highway of Love” by Shining Line, in my faux Hold On! soundtrack video on Youtube. He contacted me on Facebook with a unique proposal. He wanted to write and produce the official theme song for my ‘next book’. (A soundtrack to a novel, in the same way you’d have a theme song to a movie.) This had never been done before.

I wrote the spin-off novel, Hold On! – Tomorrow, which came out on October 1st, 2016 to coincide with the release of its theme song, “Gotta Get Away” by Charming Grace. Pierpaolo had drafted in Nick Workman, the lead singer of international rock band, VEGA, to sing duet on the track, and the song was featured on an album entitled “We Still Rock”.  VEGA released their new single, “White Flag”, a song about my hellish journey in the writing world. Newspaper and radio interviews followed, and suddenly, my heroes had become my mates.

All of this led to a new career prospect for me, and I am now preparing to become a rock album producer.

The Hold On! series is founded on cliffhangers, suspense, bombshell turns, and shock-twist endings. Ironically, the story behind the scenes seems to have mirrored the dynamics of the series.

Gotta Get Away by Charming Grace –

Follow Peter on Facebook, Twitter & Website


No comments:

Post a Comment