Sunday, November 20, 2016

How a Berkeley Plantation Inspired Historical Romance Author Cheryl R. Lane


Author Cheryl R. Lance signing at the festival

I recently participated in the Virginia Thanksgiving Festival, held annually at Berkeley Plantation on the James River in Charles City, Virginia.  Berkeley Plantation was the inspiration for my fictional plantation, Wellington Cross, in my historical romance Wellington Cross series, so I was thrilled to be able to participate in this.  In the first book of the series, Wellington Cross, I wrote about the family attending this festival, which was called First Thanksgiving, so if anyone reads this book, they can attend this festival and feel like they’re living inside my book for a little while.  
Wellington Cross by Cheryl R. Lane
The festival commemorates and re-enacts the first English-speaking thanksgiving in the New World.  I sold and signed my books while enjoying the sights and sounds of the festival, including choral music, Chickahominy Indian dancers, watching children play in the corn maze, and eating Thanksgiving dinner in a cup. 

There are tours of the 1726 manor house during the festival, as well.  This wasn’t my first time attending the festival, but it was my first time as a vendor.  

My station was between two other women entrepreneurs, one who sold jewelry and dream-catchers, and another one who sold scarves and painted henna tattoos on people’s hands.  It was a beautiful day and I hope to participate in the festival again in the future.

Like Cheryl's Facebook page.
Follow her on Twitter
Check out her books on her Website
Wellington Grove by Cheryl R. Lane

No comments:

Post a Comment