Thursday, December 10, 2015

The Appeal of Writing Mail Order Bride Romances

Author Linda Bridey

Writing is truly a labor of love for me.  I'd always written stories, but until I began writing the Montana Mail Order Brides (Westward) Series, I hadn't been serious about my craft.  Finally, after a lot of encouragement by my family and friends, I decided to take the plunge and begin publishing those stories.  There are 23 books in the Westward Series and there are 8 books in my Echo Canyon Brides series, which is still ongoing.  The current book is titled Montana Orphan and it builds upon the events from the last book and introduces some new characters as well.
I’ve been asked about my creative process many times and the best way to describe it is that I have this creative door in my head that characters walk up to, knock on, and come through.  They sit down, introduce themselves, and tell me what they're like.  I develop them from there, but they lead me where they want to go and sometimes we argue.  Yes, I know how that sounds, but it's true.  I've tried to write with an outline, but the characters never go where I originally thought they would. 
Westward Winds by Linda Bridey
I’m also asked frequently for advice on writing.  Here it is; read and write every day.  Even if what you write is garbage, write.  It's the only way to hone your craft.  Take risks and don't be afraid to roam outside of your comfort zone.  Stretch yourself as a writer and be ruthless when you edit.  Cut out things that don't go with your story lines, but don't get rid of it.  Save it because it might come in handy somewhere else down the line where it might fit better.  Don't listen to the reviews that aren't constructive.  It'll only discourage you and prevent you from writing.  Own your mistakes and go on and do better.
I’ve always admired Nora Roberts’ style of writing because her characters are vivid and she doesn't get bogged down with a lot of description that just slowly down the story.  So I guess I sort of emulate her somewhat.  I'm also an avid Stephen King fan and I love the way he inserts humor into his scariest stories, so I try to do that, too.
The biggest obstacle I always have to overcome is that I tend to be a very prolific writer.  Editing is painful for me because I never want to cut anything out of a story.  So I have to very stern with myself about it and force my fingers to hit the delete button or move text to a new document to use at a future date.
Montana Rescue by Linda Bridey
What’s next for me?  I’m very excited about my upcoming series, The Dawson Chronicles, which is a spinoff of the Westward Series and continues telling the romantic stories of Dawson’s residents and the descendants of the original characters.  My readers were clamoring for more of the characters they’ve come to love and I just couldn’t refuse them.

Linda can be reached on her Facebook page. Follow her on Twitter and check out her Website.

No comments:

Post a Comment