Tuesday, October 6, 2015

My Life As A Spy

by Luana Ehrlich
Author Luana Ehrlich

I'm Luana Ehrlich, the author of Titus Ray Thrillers, a new series of spy novels containing elements of faith embedded within the story line. When One Night in Tehran was first published, it surprised a lot of my friends at the church I attend. While they weren't surprised I'd written a book, they were very surprised I'd written THIS particular book. Most had just assumed my first foray into the publishing world would be a devotional book or a work of Biblical fiction.

However, once my readers viewed the "behind the scenes" workings of the CIA as seen through the eyes of Titus Ray, a veteran CIA intelligence officer, the question most often posed to me was, "How do you know so much about espionage stuff? Were you a spy?"

One Night in Tehran
My usual answer---and I'm sticking to it---is that I have to protect my sources, so I can't answer that. But then, I always point out I've been reading adult spy thrillers since I devoured one of my dad's James Bond books when I was eleven years old. Because I'm an avid reader, I now know enough about spy agencies, espionage, and clandestine operations to write hundreds of spy novels---or at least a series of them.

I wrote One Night in Tehran, the first book in the Titus Ray Thriller series, after reading about the persecutions of Christians in Iran. Because I was already thinking about writing my own spy thriller, I asked myself what would happen if a CIA operation went horribly bad and an intelligence officer was forced to seek shelter with a group of Iranian Christians in Tehran. How would his life as a clandestine spy change if he made a commitment to follow the teachings of Christ? What would happen to him once he returned to the States? Could a man trained to lie and deceive, and sometimes commit violent acts, be able to continue his career as a spy, while living out the tenets of Christianity?

One Night in Tehran unfolds as Titus returns to the States determined to explore his new life of faith. When he learns he's been targeted by a Hezbollah assassin, he must decide if the Iranian couple he meets in Oklahoma has ties to the man who's trying to kill him, and if Nikki Saxon, a detective in the Norman Police Department, can be trusted with his secrets.

Two Days in Caracas
The second book in the series, Two Days in Caracas, takes up where the first book left off, with Titus on the hunt for Hezbollah assassin, Ahmed Al-Amin. Titus travels from Costa Rica to Venezuela in an effort to stop Ahmed from murdering a high-profile government official. Along the way, a family crisis jeopardizes his mission, and an Agency division head threatens to destroy his career. As the danger mounts, he’s forced to partner with an untested operative to complete the mission and bring Ahmed to justice. Meanwhile, Titus continues to explore his newfound faith, particularly the concept of forgiveness.

Luana can be contacted on her Website, Facebook, Twitter, and You Tube.


1 comment:

  1. I've almost finished reading One Night in Tehran. It's compelling, intriguing and a great read. I'm looking forward to reading book two.

    ReplyDelete