Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Being Gladys

Author Jacqueline Druga

Admittedly I am dating myself by making this comparison reference, but anyone that knows me or reads my bios, knows I am not a spring chicken. Though inwardly, I feel that way. Of course, don’t we all.

I’ve always been nosey by nature, I come by it naturally. My grandmother was the queen of nosey, so much so, we hated going to funeral homes with her because she could be found huddled in the corner, speaking loudly about gossip as it applied to mourners as they walked in. In her defense, she didn’t realize she spoke so loudly.

My mother claims not to be nosey, me, I own up to it. I am. How else am I going to get realistic characters if I don’t watch people closely.

Back in the 70s, and even later thanks to cable, we were treated with the television show called BeWitched. The Stevens had a nosey neighbor, if you watched the series, you are familiar with her. Her name … Gladys Kravitz.

Gladys didn’t miss a beat, she was at that window, peeking out at the slightest movement or noise. She knew everything about everyone without talking to them. Because she was a window watcher spy.

Now, so am I. It’s a horrible thing to admit to and I swear I don’t do it on purpose just to look, but my third floor writing room window has an amazing vantage point. So in an essence, my writing has made me a Gladys.

I stare at the screen to think of my next passage, turn to stare out the window … and can see it all. Day and Night.

Crazy neighbor lady, hanging her unmentionables out to dry on a makeshift clothes life from the mail box to her porch.

Single Mother Neighbor struggling with groceries and two kids … whoops, I should help her … (Text daughter to run out and give a hand)

Drunken Middle Aged Neighbor guy locked out, singing ‘I Wanna Know What Love Is’ to his wife until he passes out on the grass.

And of course, the breaking and entering of the house next door. I swiftly called the police, they probably thought, ‘Oh it’s crazy nosey writer neighbor again, ignore it’, because they didn’t show up for ten minutes.

Of course when they asked me, “What did you see?” I replied, “A lot in the ten minutes it took for you to arrive. They got the big screen TV, that took them four minutes to lug out.”


Oh, well. There are ups and downs to having a nosey neighbor. Nothing is sacred, nothing is private, and if your neighbor is a writer, you can bet just about everything makes it in his or her novel one day.

Reset by Jacqueline Druga
Visit my website: www.jacquelinedruga.com

The Beginnings Series: www.beginningsbooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment