Sunday, January 4, 2015

Why I decided to Re-Write It... by Stacy Eaton


Why I decided to re-write it…by Stacy Eaton

My Blood Runs Blue was the first book that I wrote and published. Back in 2010 when I started the process, I had no friends in the business, no one to guide me and had little idea of what I was doing. I signed on with a company who helped me publish my book and I paid to have it edited. Little did I know then that editing the commas and spelling errors was not enough, by far…

Two years later, I sat down to finish the last two books in the series, and had a hard time getting back into the storyline so I went back and started reading the first book. I couldn’t even get through it. I loved the story, but I hated the writing.

Since publishing the first two books, I have learned a great deal about what it takes to write a good and powerful story, and much of that comes from the way your books are edited. Not just punctuation, but content. After working with two awesome editors for a few years now, I found that you really can teach an old dog new tricks. I began toying with the idea of re-writing My Blood Runs Blue and Blue Blood for Life.

The one problem with taking on this task was that it was going to put me behind on my writing schedule. I had already slated out to write the second book in the Garda Series and the follow up book to Second Shield and knew that if I took on the task for re-writes, these would get pushed back quite a while. I wondered, would it be worth it?

I spoke with a few of my close friends who are authors and asked their opinions. Some of them said, never go back, always move forward; show your growth. Others told me to do what I felt was right.

Well, what felt right, was going back and doing some major overhauling on the first two books of the four book series. I felt that in order to finally complete the series, I had to do that, not just for me, but for the readers out there who were waiting so patiently.

So, earlier this year, I began the process. I am SO EXCITED about how My Blood Runs Blue turned out and Blue Blood for Life is going through final edits right now and should be available by early January 2015. I’m happy with my decision and thrilled to finally be finishing up the writing of book 3, Mixing the Blue Blood and starting on book 4, Blue Bloods Final Destiny. Both are slated to be released before summer of 2015.

Read more about Stacy and her writing http://www.stacyeaton.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment