Saturday, April 26, 2014

Author Anna Markland Discusses the Magnificent Medieval Men Anthology

Leave a comment for your chance to win $10 Amazon gift card and a FREE copy of Magnificent Medieval Men.

Anna Markland talks about Dance of Love, her book included in the Magnificent Medieval Men Anthology!

I have a keen interest in genealogy, and this hobby (aka obsession) has had a tremendous influence on my stories. My medieval romances are about family honor, ancestry, and roots. Why medieval? I chose the medieval period because, again going to my interest in genealogy, as an amateur genealogist, I cherished a dream (as do many) of tracing my own English roots back to the Norman Conquest—an impossibility since I am not descended from nobility! So I made up a family and my stories follow its members and offshoot branches through successive generations.

One of the things I enjoy most about writing historical romance is the in-depth research necessary to provide readers with an authentic medieval experience. I based the plot of my first novel, Conquering Passion, on a documented incident that actually happened to a Norman noblewoman.

Dance of Love is a story I’ve contributed to a new 4-book anthology entitled Magnificent Medieval Men. The authors I’ve partnered with are Catherine Kean, Kathryn Le Veque and Laurel O’Donnell. We call ourselves the Medieval Mavens.

At first, one might think Izzy de Montbryce, the hero of Dance of Love, isn’t very magnificent. He suffers from crippling arthritis which has gnarled his hands. He’s aware that women find his touch repulsive, and shies away from them. He’s become moody and antisocial.

Izzy may not have the hands of a warrior, but he has the heart of one, and when the woman he finally falls in love with is placed in grave danger he travels hundreds of miles to pursue her.

His hands are useless yet his love is so great he manages to save her from falling from a bridge into a raging torrent.

Medieval men were magnificent in that they had to fight to win and hold what was theirs. Some, like Izzy, had to overcome tremendous adversity in order to do so.

Dance of Love is one of the books in what I call my Wounded Warriors series. It’s the love story of a sullen, antisocial Norman nobleman and a girl who turns out to be the illegitimate daughter of a Spanish king.

Captured by Moors and imprisoned with her mother in Jerusalem, she has grown up in the harem, protected from defilement by mystical powers her Moorish master believes she possesses after she performs a miracle that saves his life.

Freed by Crusaders, she journeys to Normandy with the dying Crusader who saved her, and meets Izzy. With her knowledge of the healing recipes of Islamic physicians, only she can help him overcome the pain of his arthritic affliction.

But Farah bears scars of her own that only a miracle can heal.

Izzy and Farah eventually follow the Way of Saint James, the medieval pilgrimage route to the shrine of Santiago de Compostela in search of their miracle.

I enjoyed learning about the medieval kings of Spain while researching this book and discovering something of the incredibly beautiful geography and history of Aragon and the Pyrenees.

Magnificent Medieval Men is a great value for your money at 99 cents (normally $4.99). Here’s the Kindle link.

Also available for Nook, iBooks and Kobo.

You can visit Anna on her website, Facebook, and Twitter

36 comments:

  1. So happy to hear about your love of genealogy, Anna. I had no idea. I'm a huge genealogy fan and we've been researching the MacKenzie Clan on my grandmother's side and the Carter's on my husband's side and my 16 year-old has is currently trying to track down the Field family name. It's so cool. I can't wait to read this box set. Thanks so much for joining us today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband's family is MacKenzie from Scotland and Canada. It would be fun to find out that your family was related.

      Delete
    2. Wouldn't that be interesting. I have found there are unexpected kinships all over the world.

      Delete
    3. Melissa that is so cool. We are MacKenzie from Scotland and have settled in Canada. My great uncle spells his last name as McKenzie - but I'm not sure it matters much.

      Delete
  2. I loved Dance of Love and am looking forward to reading the rest of the books in this anthology!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat. I know you will enjoy every story.

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed your post, Anna! Dance of Love certainly caught my attention! I am looking forward to reading your Wounded Warrior series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose you are the lucky winner of a $10 Amazon gift certificate and free copy of Anna Markland's Medieval box set. Please email me at rfield@storyfinds.com so I can send you your gifts. All the best - Renee

      Delete
  4. What a great looking book box! I wish you much success! What fun to learn about your family!! Tweeted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are proud of this set. Thanks for stopping by, Melissa.

      Delete
  5. Great interview Anna, I love the idea you used for Wounded Warriors. It's great to see some of our heroes not quite physically perfect but still able to find their HEA. Shared :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you here, Jacquie. I tend to favor heroes with flaws.

      Delete
  6. You are such a natural for this genre Anna. Your love of history and attention to detail shines through. I've enjoyed reading your novels. Keep up the good work! I also like that you're not afraid to tackle 'flawed, but very real heroes and heroines."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jodie. I do feel very much at home in medieval times!

      Delete
  7. I love that you write outside of the box, Anna, by giving us these physically flawed heroes. It shows how creative you are. And I know what you mean about genealogy being an obsession. I've also been bitten by the genealogy bug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy, I guess every amateur genealogist understands when I speak of obsession. It becomes a fascination.

      Delete
  8. I love how much research you put in and actually use real life events. I know as a reader it really does help get me more involved into the story! Thanks for the interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracey,
      One of the things I enjoy is including historical events, some of which most people might not be aware of. It also gives a great framework to hang a story on, and who could dream up a character like William the Conqueror?

      Delete
  9. Great post. Would love to get to know your work better.
    jrs362 at Hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. Hope you enjoy my stories.

      Delete
  10. Oh, what a great deal! I've just downloaded it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love reading new (to me) Authors and historical romance, so this is perfect for me. Thank you for this giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carolyn. Hope you enjoy my stories. I'm so familiar with my Montbryce family characters, they are my family now.

      Delete
  12. Congrats on the new book...Have read and enjoyed some of the series!
    Thanks for the give away
    Dawn at pttravelingspirit@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the congrats. Glad you've enjoyed our stories.

      Delete
  13. Thank you for the novels. I am looking forward to reading them.

    Charlene
    gmgypsiesf1@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just bought my copy. Thanks for the spotlight on this, I hadn't heard about it and love the genre. Can't wait to start it.

    fsteph55(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  15. These sound wonderful. Can't wait to read them. Thanks for sharing.

    Marcia Berbeza
    Mberbeza@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Addicted to genealogy myself !!! Happy hunting and much success

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Addictive but satisfying. Thanks for your comment, Gina.

      Delete
  17. Such a cool series! Can't wait to read them all!!

    ReplyDelete